These do-it-yourself home renovation projects provide a good return on investment without breaking the bank.
Homeowners often undertake home improvement projects to improve their lifestyle or the value of their house for reselling. Complete home renovation or makeover of a specific room, such as a kitchen, are often quite expensive. In several cases, wholesale remodelling and upgrading may not be necessary. Minor changes or alterations, such as the installation of a home security system that you can see here, for example, may make the desired difference and save money in the process.
Do It Yourself: Five Home Renovation Projects
For those who are handy or aspire to complete their own do-it-yourself renovation projects, the following are five tips and ideas for completing affordable home remodelling projects.
Refinishing a Wood Panelled Room
It may appear more straightforward to remove outdated panelling and replace it with drywall or another material; however, it may cost more than you think. You must dispose of discarded panelling properly; new wall materials must be delivered, installed, and finished. On the other hand, there is a more economical approach to this task of refinishing wood panelling by using the following procedures.
- After removing all pictures and any other attached items, wash the panelling with warm soapy water.
- Next, sand the panelling using 200-grit sandpaper. This allows drywall compound and paint primer or wallpaper to adhere to the panelling.
- Then fill any groves in the panelling with drywall compound. Let dry for a day and then refill the groves. Drywall compound tends to shrink as it dries. Let it dry for another day and then sand as necessary using 15-grit drywall sandpaper.
- Now apply paint primer and finish paint, wallpaper, or other materials as desired.
Refinishing Kitchen Cabinets
If a kitchen renovation does not involve changing the layout, there is another option. Replacing kitchen cabinets is an expensive undertaking. Refinishing the cabinets with new paint, hardware, and trim moulding is a more economical approach. Refinished kitchen cabinets create a custom look and feel. If completed correctly, they will add value to a home.
- Begin by removing doors and drawers from the cabinets and removing all hardware – handles and hinges. Fill holes and cracks with wood putty.
- Sand the faces of the cabinets, doors, and drawers using 100-grit sandpaper and wipe with tack cloth when finished. Sandpaper removes dirt and grease, which accumulates over time in any kitchen, along with providing a rough surface for primer.
- Next, apply an oil-based primer and sand with 220-grit sandpaper after the primer dries.
- Now apply an oil-based paint, white is popular today, and sand with 280-grit sandpaper between coats of paint. Avoid using water-based paint because this paint softens when exposed to heat and grease.
- Attach new hardware and reinstall doors and drawers.
If adding decorative picture frame moulding or other decorative trim, use the same procedures above for painting. This is often easier to accomplish before cutting and attaching to cabinets, followed by minor paint touch up after installation.
Applying Fresh Paint
A fresh coat of paint will add life to any room or home exterior. This means not only painting the walls, but it also means painting the ceilings. One popular DIY approach when repainting a room is to paint one wall a vivid colour for depth and contrast.
One caution when repainting a room to add possible resale value is the use of neutral colours. Wild and eccentric colours may fit your lifestyle; however, potential buyers may not have your same tastes.
Updating Light Fixtures
Light fixtures in a home have become outdated over the years, including ceiling fans. Replacing light fixtures does not require extensive knowledge of electricity or wiring because the electrical wiring is already installed. The primary consideration is to ensure the electrical power is turned off before replacing any light fixture.
Ceiling fans do not necessarily need replacement; however, the fan blades are readily replaced. This is needed when the ceiling fans have been in place for many years. New blades brighten and provide a newly finished look. Old fan blades are often challenging to clean because they become dirty and grimy over time, even covered in grease when located near a kitchen.
While I do this, please can you edit the paragraph that our link is in ever so slightly so that it reads: Installing new light fixtures or adding new decorative lighting to brighten up the darkest of rooms is another approach for affordable home improvement. However, unless you are experienced with installing electrical wiring, hiring certified electricians, like those who work at Milestone, is the best approach for your renovation project.
Return on Investment: Five More Home Renovation Projects
The secret behind completing any home improvement project is to improve the value of a home and, therefore, to obtain the best return on investment. Therefore, installing high-cost items, such as new custom-built kitchen cabinets, may not increase the home’s value unless the entire kitchen is completely remodelled.
Five more additional interior home improvements tips and ideas, which provide the greatest return on investment and are within the realm of someone who prefers to do it yourself, include:
- Replacing the vanity, light fixtures, and old plumbing fixtures in a bathroom.
- Replacing old faucets, sinks, or an old built-in microwave in the kitchen.
- Upgrading kitchen appliances.
- Improving curb appeal by upgrading the front door, moulding, and fresh paint.
- Removing popcorn paint on ceilings because this style of ceiling paint has gone the way of wood panelling – old and out of date.
Quality installation is the secret to providing a good return on investment. These ten home improvement tips and ideas offer ways to save money and not break the bank when renovating your house. Using low-quality materials in any of these do-it-yourself projects should be avoided because all your hard work will not last long. As a result, the need for continual maintenance and repair is necessary, leaving you with a less than joyful experience.