Everyone knows that Mary Poppins was “practically perfect in every way.” Babysitters, nannies, caregivers—whatever the name, they are godsends to parents–and if you can find one just as magical and illuminating as the one played by Julie Andrews, consider yourself crazy lucky.
“As a single mom I have to work, so I’m grateful to have the help of a wonderful and trusted nanny like I had when I was young,” said actress Minnie Driver.
But even if you don’t have a nanny or were not raised by one, you can appreciate the love and warmth that these caregivers exude in our favorite childhood movies.
From Robin William’s drag-queen getup in Mrs. Doubtfire to Emma Thompson’s stern-but-loving governess in Nanny McPhee, we rounded up are favorite nannies from film.
10. Annie Braddock in The Nanny Diaries
9. Molly Gunn in Uptown Girls
8. Nana in Peter Pan
6. Charlie Hinton in Daddy Day Care
5. Corrina Washington in Corrina, Corrina
4. Nanny McPhee in Nanny McPhee
3. Maria von Trapp in The Sound of Music
2. Euphegenia Doubtfire in Mrs. Doubtfire
1. Mary Poppins in Mary Poppins