Lucky day! Nessa Robins, one of our favorite Irish bloggers, just sent us an Irish potato cakes recipe. And it’s sure to be a hit at the table this Sunday on St. Patrick’s Day. Check out more recipes from her blog Nessa’s Family Kitchen or in her cookbook Apron Strings: Recipes From a Family Kitchen (available soon) . What will you be making this St. Patrick’s Day? –Sharon Beesley
Irish Potato Cakes
1 lb. cooled mashed potatoes
1 egg, lightly beaten
Salt & freshly ground black pepper
3 oz. all-purpose flour
2 scallions, finely chopped
1 tbsp oil
Knob of butter (heaping tbsp)
1. Place the mashed potatoes in a large bowl. Season with salt and pepper and add the egg. Stir in the flour and combine well to form a dough.
2. Transfer the dough onto a floured work surface and knead lightly. Roll out the dough, about 3 cm thick.
3. Cut into circles using a pastry cutter making approximately 8 potato cakes.
4. Oil the pan and place over medium heat. Add the potato cakes and cook for about 3 minutes on each side or until golden brown.
5. Serve hot with butter on top.