Banana Cupcakes with Cream Cheese Frosting
Makes 12 Cupcakes
1 stick (1/2 c.) unsalted butter, softened
1 c. granulated sugar
½ c. sour cream
2 ripe medium bananas, roughly chopped
1 ½ c. all-purpose flour
1 tsp. baking soda
½ tsp. cinnamon
½ tsp. vanilla extract
Pinch of salt
For the cream cheese frosting:
½ c. (1 stick) unsalted butter, softened
8 oz. cream cheese, softened
2 c. confectioners’ sugar
Candy or Sprinkles, to decorate (optional)
I have many memories in the kitchen with mom growing up. We loved making banana loaves and banana cupcakes, and this version is a variation of the ones we made growing up. It is a moist banana cake speckled with cinnamon and topped with a dollop of billowy cream cheese frosting. We still enjoy these cupcakes many years later, and they are perfect for a Mother’s Day brunch.
1. Heat oven to 350°F. Line a cupcake pan with paper liners.
2. In the bowl of an electric mixer fitted with a paddle attachment, beat the butter and sugar until light and fluffy. Scrape down the sides of the bowl with a rubber spatula and continue to beat, adding one egg at a time until thoroughly combined. Add the sour cream and bananas and mix until combined.
3. In a medium bowl, sift together the flour, baking soda, cinnamon, and salt. Add flour mixture to the mixer and beat until just smooth, 1 to 2 minutes. Add the vanilla and beat until just combined.
4. Fill the cupcake liners about 2/3 of the way full with the batter and bake, rotating halfway through, until the cupcakes are golden and a cake tester inserted in the middle comes out clean, 18 to 20 minutes. Let cupcakes cool in the pan for 5 minutes, then transfer to a wire rack to cool completely before frosting.
5. To make the frosting. In the bowl of a standing mixer fitted with the paddle attachment, combine the butter and cream cheese and beat on high speed until smooth, about 2 minutes. Reduce the speed to medium-low, gradually add the sugar, and beat until smooth and fluffy, 1 to 2 minutes.
6. Spoon about 2 tsbp. of the frosting onto each cupcake. Using an offset spatula and holding the cupcake in your hand, spread the frosting on in swirls by turning the cupcake in your hand. If you wish, garnish with candy. Serve immediately or store in an airtight container and refrigerate up to three days.