Pregnancy is the perfect time to mix up with your beauty regimen, and while you’re at it, edit down your makeup bag. There are so many brands out there loaded with harmful chemicals–not good for you, and certainly not good for your baby.
Remember your skin is your largest organ, so you want to be keen on what’s clean in your beauty routine. Here are my suggestions for chemical-free beauty products that are good for your glow, safe for your baby, and eco-friendly.
1. Omega Moisture Rich Skin Cream: Dense creams help protect the skin from dryness and help maintain skin elasticity–often preventing stretch marks. A formula rich in Omega 3, 6 and 9 will ensure your skin has the best fighting chance against pregnancy stretch marks. We love Mama Mio Tummy Rub Stretch Mark Butter.
2. Sulphate-Free Body Wash: Don’t dry out your skin; use a gentle wash that maintains the skin pH. Our favorite is Geranium Rose Luxury Skin Wash by Georgia by G & Company–a light-lathering, luxurious and refreshing all over body wash. Great for sensitive skin of all ages and anyone who prefers a gentle cleanse, leaving skin with it’s natural glow due to the rich organic oils of coconut, olive & jojoba. Bonus: This body wash can double as a mild shampoo.
3. Chemical-Free Scrub: The key to healthy elastic skin is to exfoliate, sweeping away the dull, itchy top skin layer and prompting cellular renewal in the lower layers where stretch marks occur. We love Basq Sugar Body Polish, which contains shea butter and other nourishing essential oils.
4. Botanical facial care: You want a product line that makes your skin glow, while fortifying it with nutrition and bio-actives, enhancing your already glowing skin. Try Tata Harper’s line of facial skin care products–they are committed to using all-natural and non-toxic ingredients.
5. Paraben- & Petroleum-free eyeliner: Your eyes are one of the most sensitive regions on the face and must be protected from allergens and harmful chemicals. You can still rock a sassy cateye–try Josie Maran’s fragrance and paraben-free eyeliner. The former model founded her cosmetics company with a dedication to social and envvironmental responsibility.
6. Non-toxic nail polish: Look for products that are DBP-, toluene- and formaldehyde-free. The nail salon used to be a toxic war zone, but now with water-based nail polishes in trendy colors you can still get your mani/pedi without worrying about toxins. We love Priti NYC Nail Polish–the line is toxin-free and comes in a a kids line as well, Priti in Pink Princess.
These products are all so amazing that there’s no reason not to use them, pregnant or not. Good for you, good for the planet. What’s not to love about that?